Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Summer Reading

For me, reading is one of the best ways I’ve found to discover more about myself, my faith, and the world around me. Whether it is fiction or non-fiction, light reading or studious, the books I’ve read have allowed me in on someone else’s thinking and experience. I love those moments in a book when I think “I’ve had the same feeling, but never had words to express it before” or “so that’s what life is like for others.”

I also like to discuss the books I’m reading, and to hear about what other people are reading. I have discovered a number of great books by recommendation from this congregation. And so, to keep the conversation going, I’ll share my stack for summer reading this year.

Praying Like Jesus, by James Mulholland, is what we gave our high school graduates this year. It is an examination of the Lord’s Prayer by an insightful American Baptist minister.

The Highest Tide, by Jim Lynch, is a novel about a teenage boy who lives on the water of Puget Sound. I just finished this one, and I learned a lot about the fascinating sea life that lives in the ocean tides in this story about coming of age and responsibility.

Christianity For the Rest of Us, by Diana Butler Bass, is an examination of how old, mainline churches are thriving by exploring ancient Christian practices like hospitality and testimony.

The Emerging Christian Way is a collection of essays edited by Michael Schwartzentruber, in which a variety of writers describe and envision how the Christian church is moving into the third millennium.

Wicked, by Gregory Maguire, is a re-imagining of the land of Oz and the wicked witch of the west. I’ve heard great things about the musical and the novel.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, by J.K. Rowling. Our entire family is awaiting the release of the final volume in this series. They are wonderful books to read and talk about with all ages.

Finally, Thirst is Mary Oliver’s relatively new book of poetry. She is one of my favorite writers.

No comments: