Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Broken Thumb


At the end of September, I broke a bone at the end of my right thumb, right under my thumbnail.
To answer the most common immediate questions:
1.  I broke it playing basketball.
2.  Yes, it is my writing hand.
3.  It was surgically reset, but the pin will come out in early November.
OK, so that’s out of the way.

I am amazed at how often we use our thumbs.  I’m wearing a splint while the bone heals, which leaves my four fingers free, but for most things, what you really need is the thumb: buttoning my shirtsleeve, opening a jar, brushing my teeth, writing and typing, holding a glass of water, playing guitar....  You get the picture.  All of this can be frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine.  But that’s not the only thing that I feel.

I feel very blessed, and this injury has caused me to recognize and be thankful for things that I could easily take for granted.
I am blessed by the loving care and support of my wife, Betsy.
I am blessed by the great medical care that I have access to, and for my medical insurance.
I am blessed to be able to continue my work fairly easily, and to have an employer (my church) who is understanding and flexible.
I am blessed that my injury is not serious or permanent.  I  have to temporarily relearn how to do things, but others have to adapt for the rest of their lives.

There is a tradition within Christian practice of discovering blessings in the midst of suffering.  Sometimes, it is in the midst of difficulty that we become more aware of God's blessings.  We learn to accept the help of others and give up the illusion of self-reliance.  And we increase our compassion for the burdens carried by others.  I don't believe - I DO NOT believe - that God causes suffering in order to impart these lessons.  God had nothing to do with my broken bone, or with any of the more seriously injured who received medical attention that day.  I don't believe that God inflicts harm in order to open our eyes, but I do believe that God is involved in the opening of our eyes.

No comments: