Thursday, October 6, 2011

R.E.M.


(Reprinted from the church newsletter of First Congregational Church of Tallmadge, Ohio, UCC)

The band R.E.M. officially retired this month, after 15 albums and thousands of concerts over more than thirty years.  They started as a group of friends from Athens, Georgia, became a favorite of the college scene, and then became nationally prominent in the 1990’s with songs like “The One I Love,” “It’s the End of the World as We Know It,” and “Losing My Religion” before fading from their peak of success during the past decade.
I’ve been a fan since I first heard them in the early 90’s and have seen them live three times.  Betsy and I last saw them in concert at Blossom about seven years ago.  I used to play their songs in a band with my friends, and I still listen to them when I’m working out.  I imagine that there are many other R.E.M. fans in this church, while many of you have no idea what I’m talking about.

I want to pay tribute, because here is a rock band who managed a long career of touring and writing music without scandal, without succumbing to the excesses of rock and roll temptation, and without wanting to kill each other.  They’re still friends.  They showed that you can be mature and kind, and also have a great time and be just crazy enough. 

They showed that you can write a thoughtful, hit song about how people struggle with religion and spirituality.  Hit songs don’t have to be shallow, and losing your religion doesn’t have to mean becoming a shallow person.  I’ve always thought that the alternative to bad religion is good religion.

Many people lose the religion of their earlier lives, because it was scary, judgmental, exclusive, or incomprehensible.  Sometimes religion is harmful, and sometimes it seems so harmless and facile that you wonder what’s the point?  All of these are distortions of the holy religion that binds us together with God and with one another.  I don’t know what the members of R.E.M. call their religion, but I’m thankful that they shared their struggles with honesty and integrity.

R.E.M., Thanks for the music, and may your retirement be blessed.

2 comments:

David R said...

Even better is that they went back and recorded one final song after they knew they would break up: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/pop-life/r-e-m-r-i-p-thank-you-for-running-it-into-the-ground-20110922
Probably the greatest last song ever recorded by a band that I've ever heard. It almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I heard it. I would expect nothing less from them.

And here's a nice article about them: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/pop-life/r-e-m-r-i-p-thank-you-for-running-it-into-the-ground-20110922

Love the band. I have a lot of good memories of their music.

Matt Wooster said...

Thanks, David! Did you mean to link to something about their last song? I haven't heard it, and hadn't even heard about it until you wrote.